Your privacy is important. At Dixon & Co Lawyers, we will ensure that your personal information is kept private in line with our Terms of Engagement and as protected at law.
Dixon & Co Lawyers (DCL, we, us, our) complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 2020 (the Act) when dealing with personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person).
This policy sets out how we will collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information.
This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act. If you wish to seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz
2. Changes To This Policy
We may change this policy by uploading a revised policy onto the website. The change will apply from the date that we upload the revised policy.
3. Who Do We Collect Personal Information From?
We collect personal information about you from:
- Eyou, when you provide that personal information to us, including via the website and any related service, through any registration or subscription process, through any contact with us (e.g. telephone call or email), or when you use our services;
- Ethird parties where you have authorised this or the information is publicly available.
If possible, we will collect personal information from you directly.
4. How We Use Your Personal Information
We will use your personal information:
- Eto provide services to you
- Eto verify your identity
- Eto outline the scope of our services to you, including contacting you electronically (e.g. by text or email for this purpose)
- Eto improve the services that we provide to you
- Eto undertake credit checks of you (if necessary)
- Eto bill you and to collect money that you owe us, including authorising and processing credit card transactions
- Eto respond to communications from you, including a complaint
- Eto conduct research and statistical analysis (on an anonymised basis)
- Eto protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim
- Efor any other purpose authorised by you or the Act.
5. Disclosing Your Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to:
- Eany business that supports our services and products, including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data centre that we use to provide the website or other services and products
- Ea credit reference agency for the purpose of credit checking you
- Eother third parties (for anonymised statistical information)
- Ea person who can require us to supply your personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority)
- Eany other person authorised by the Act or another law (e.g. a law enforcement agency)
- Eany other person authorised by you.
6. Protecting Your Personal Information
We will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse.
7. Accessing & Correcting Your Personal Information
- ESubject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act, you have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that we hold and to request a correction to your personal Before you exercise this right, we will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates.
- EIn respect of a request for correction, if we think the correction is reasonable and we are reasonably able to change the personal information, we will make the correction. If we do not make the correction, we will take reasonable steps to note on the personal information that you requested the correction.If you want to exercise either of the above rights, email us at email@example.com.
- EYour email should provide evidence of who you are and set out the details of your request (e.g. the personal information, or the correction, that you are requesting).
- EWe may charge you our reasonable costs of providing to you copies of your personal information or correcting that information.
8. Internet Use
- EWhile we take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide us with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at your own risk.
- EIf you post your personal information on the website’s message board, you acknowledge and agree that the information you post is publicly available.
Note: For more information, refer to the Terms of Engagement.